BOSTON, Mass. – The Regis (Mass.) women's volleyball team picked up a four-set win over Suffolk University Wednesday night inside Regan Gymnasium as the Pride renewed their rivalry with Rams. The Great Northeast Athletic Conference victory came by set scores 19-25, 25-18, 25-12 and 25-19.
SCORE: Suffolk 1, Regis 3
RECORDS: Suffolk (12-10, 5-4 GNAC) | Regis (10-13, 6-3 GNAC)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Suffolk took a 1-0 momentum in the match as it secured the first frame, 19-25. Throughout the remainder of the match the Rams had to play catch up. The Pride held the blue-and-gold off in the ensuing three stanzas to secure the 3-1 victory.
SET ONE RECAP (25-19, SUFFOLK)
- Regis put the first three points on the board to force Suffolk to play catch up.
- Bridget Allison scored the first kill for the Rams on the team's first attack of the night to jump start the comeback.
- Talia Lombardo leveled the playing field at 4-all with a kill of her own before Kayla Barbera gave the blue-and-gold the lead for good with her first kill of the evening.
- Suffolk built a five-point lead from there, leading 13-8.
- The Rams maintained the distance the rest of the way going ahead as many as six.
- Hannah Fabiano sealed the frame on a kill set-up by Liz Kerek.
SET TWO RECAP (25-18, REGIS)
- Similar to the first, Suffolk fell behind early, but this time the Pride gained a 7-3 edge.
- Four straight points from Suffolk tied the set at 7-all and the lead flip-flopped from there.
- MacKenzie Emco (Sutton, Mass.) sent a kill home to put the visitors in front from there.
- Regis gained a 17-11 advantage to force a Suffolk timeout.
- The Rams did not gain momentum out of the break as the Pride went on for the 25-18 set win.
SET THREE RECAP (25-12, REGIS)
- Regis took a 4-0 lead that turned into a 14-7 cushion at the midway point.
- Out of a Suffolk timeout, the Pride continue to pile on the points and went ahead 20-8.
- The Rams used their second timeout of the frame to gain composure.
- Down the stretch Regis outscored the blue-and-gold 5-4, to take the set, 25-12, and gain a 2-1 match lead.
SET FOUR RECAP (25-19, REGIS)
- Once again Suffolk bell behind early as the visitors built a 14-6 lead.
- The Rams' timeout allowed the hosts to turn the tides and rattle off a 9-1 run including five unanswered points to level the playing field at 15-all.
- The Pride used a break to settle down and it worked as it went on a 4-0 spurt of its own to regain a 19-15 edge.
- Suffolk tried to catch up again, but could not make up the ground as Regis went on to take the set, 25-19, and match 3-1.
- Katryna Veasey (Quincy, Mass.) led all players on the night with 16 kills, and led the Pride with 13 digs.
- Veasey was one of three Pride players to record double digits as digs, joined by Haley Schulte (Fullerton, Calif.) and Caroline Fuentes (Downey, Calif.) with 12 and 11 respectively.
- Emco and senior Sydney Trusty (Durham, Conn.) each had eight kills, tied for second on the Pride.
- Kayla Barbera paced the offense with seven kills on a .429 hitting clip. The freshman added two digs and one block to the defensive effort.
- Talia Lombardo and Hannah Fabiano contributed on both sides of the net. Lombardo put toether a stat line of five digs, seven digs, six assists and a pair of blocks, while Fabiano notched five kills, nine digs and three blocks.
- Dakhensey Marcellus anchored the defensive unit with 18 digs to go along with two handouts, one ace and one kill.
- For the second time in the series Suffolk, Regis series, the match went to four sets. The Prides owns both such outings.