WESTON, Mass. – Upon notification from the Weston Board of Health that the risk level for the Eastern Equine Encephalitis (EEE) virus spread through mosquito bites has been raised to a moderate risk within the Town of Weston, Regis College has announced several precautions to limit community exposure.
One of the major steps is rescheduling evening and outdoor events, including athletic practices and competitions. Although wooded locations around the athletic fields and the rest of campus will be sprayed, there will be no outdoor practices or competitions taking place between 7 p.m. and 6 a.m., with those times to be adjusted as the span of dusk-to-dawn changes over the next several weeks.
For this week, the start time for the field hockey match between Regis and Framingham State Wednesday, Sept. 11, has been moved up from 5 p.m. to 4 p.m. The women's soccer match between Regis College and Curry College scheduled for Sept. 11 at 7:30 p.m. has been rescheduled for Sunday, Sept. 15, starting at 12 p.m.
The other outdoor home athletic events this week will be played as scheduled:
- Men's tennis will host Gordon College Friday, Sept. 13, starting at 3:30 p.m.
- Women's soccer will open conference play against Colby-Sawyer Saturday, Sept. 14, beginning at 12 p.m.
- Men's soccer will welcome Babson College later Saturday for a 3 p.m. kickoff.
Regis College is recommending that community members take precautionary measures of their own by:
- Avoiding outdoor activities between 7 p.m. and 6 a.m. when mosquitos are most active
- Wearing long sleeves and pants
- Frequently applying bug repellent that use an EPA-registered ingredient (DEET, permethrin, picaridin, oil of lemon eucalyptus)
- Staying away from wooded, wetland, and shaded areas.
Student-athletes who have questions or concerns about their schedules should speak with their coaches. The competition schedules will be continually updated on GoRegisPride.com as alternate arrangements are finalized.
CONFIRMED SCHEDULE CHANGES
Field Hockey - Framingham State at Regis - Start Time Moved Up to 4 p.m. on Wednesday, Sept. 11
Women's Soccer - Curry at Regis - Moved to Sunday, Sept. 15, at 12 p.m.
Field Hockey - Thursday, Sept. 19 - Regis-New England College Match moved from Weston, Mass. to Henniker, N.H., and to be hosted by New England College - Start time remains 7 p.m.