The Regis (Mass.) field hockey team suffered its first loss of the 2017 season on Tuesday night, falling to Wheaton College by a score of 6-0.
RECORDS: Wheaton (1-1, 0-0 NEWMAC) - Regis (1-1, 0-0 GNAC)
LOCATION: Norton, Mass. (Diane C. Nordin '80 Field)
- It took the Lyons less than seven minutes to get on the board, as Kelsey Buckley struck for her first goal of the season off of a Katie Peters drive from outside the circle.
- Ten minutes later, Elizabeth Helmreich picked up her first goal as well after collecting a rebound from her own shot and slipping it past the Regis keeper, Maresa Malcolm (Barrington, N.J.).
- Buckley converted a Peters ball once again at 50:29, lifting the Wheaton lead to 3-0.
- Michelle Connolly sent a rocket past a diving Malcolm at 54:59, and Helmreich was there to finish the transaction with a shot to the back left corner of the cage.
- First year forward Hannah LeClair topped the Wheaton offense off with a pair of goals. The first year forward used rebound off of Malcolm's pads in a scramble in front of the net, before ending the evening with another unassisted goal in the 67th minute.
- Riley Thompson earned the win for Wheaton, making four saves in the first 35 minutes of the contest. Morgan Karnes appeared in the second half and remained unchallenged in 35 minutes of work.
- Malcolm recorded nine stops in the loss for the Pride.
- Pride junior forward Aineen Callahan (Diamond Point, N.Y.) recorded three of the visitors' five shots on the evening.
- Shots: Wheaton 18 - Regis 5
- Penalty Corners: Wheaton 15 - Regis 0
- Saves: Wheaton 4 - Regis 9
UP NEXT: Wheaton is slated to host Union College on Saturday, September 9 at 12:00 p.m. at Diane C. Nordin '80 Field. The Pride will open GNAC play on the road on Saturday afternoon at Anna Maria.
Recap courtesy of Wheaton College Sports Information.